From Plato to iPadsNovember 2011
A timeline of technological advances that have shaped the way we live and learn.
- 40,000 BC: Paintings and drawings are a new means of communication
- 389 BC: The founding of the Academy by Plato begins a new movement in education
- 1453: The printing of the Bible with moveable type by Gutenberg transforms society
- 1862: QWERTY – Christopher Sholes develops a machine to print the alphabet
- 1901: Marconi sends a radio signal across the Atlantic
Back in the day...
- 1967: Texas Instruments develops the first hand-held calculator
- 1968: Douglas Engelbart introduces a prototype of the computer mouse
- 1977: Apple introduces the Apple II
- 1981: IBM home computer is introduced and MS DOS 2.0 is introduced
- 1984: Dell Computer is founded
- 1985: Microsoft Windows is introduced, America Online debuts, Nintendo debuts
- 1989: The World-Wide Web begins at the Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire
In more recent times...
- 1998: Google is launched and Smartboards are introduced
- 1999: Blackberry starts smart phone craze
- 2000: Wikipedia is launched
- 2001: Apple’s iPod launched
- 2003: Skype launched
- 2004: Facebook launched
- 2007: Apple’s iPhone launched
- 2010: Apple’s iPad invented
Crystal ball gazing...
- 2020: Robotic teacher’s aides
- 2025: Virtual classrooms
- 2035: Holographic teaching
- 2085: Downloadable consciousness